It was bound to happen.

I had to actually fix the roof and prevent it from leaking into the shop or I would never be able to finish the deck or the shop. Since the guy I ‘hired’ didn’t fix it (after two tries), I figured it was time to take matters into my own hands….again. I knew that the only way I was going to fix the roof permanently was to actually create a slope in the roof at the flat part and then do some ‘proper’ flashing.

I honestly hate leaks. They are the hardest thing to find and fix. While fixing the roof, this time, I was thinking that if this didn’t work, I would rip everything off, and start from scratch. That would require so much time and money that it would almost make more sense to cut the entire bottom part off of the house and build a separate building….which I did consider. Hopefully it won’t come down to that.

So this was the status of the deck and roofing with many leaks.

IMG_20150818_184537498

My first thought was to create a sloped roof, so I need to remove some of the siding to allow the slope to go as close to the house as I could go.

IMG_20151006_190601800

IMG_20151006_190607582

IMG_20151006_190556285

I used a Harbor Freight Oscillating tool and cut into the siding to remove the bottom six inches. I figured this would be plenty and allow me to flash properly.

IMG_20151006_192112057

I had the house wrap hanging down so I removed enough to get it out of the way and then began planning my slope. Since I needed the slope to still keep the roof below the door, I measured out a 2.5 inch high rise to the 6 inch run that I wanted to create. I used a 2×6 and cut out an angled piece of wood.

IMG_20151006_183447343

Using my table saw, I cut another 2×6 at an angle to match the angle of the wedge pieces.

IMG_20151006_183451185

Here are all of the wedge pieces ready to mount to the 2×6 with the angle cut in it.

IMG_20151006_183501057

I purchased new 2x6s to create the slope, cut wedges out of, and to create a new beam for the deck.

IMG_20151006_183455654

I used leftover OSB to then mount over the wedge pieces and sloped 2×6. This gave me a small ramp and then I mounted it to the roof using deck screws. The slope is more aggressive than the slope of the original roof, but I figured I wanted to get the rain off of the roof as fast as possible.

IMG_20151007_190341581_HDR

I then took roll-out roofing and rolled 2 pieces out. I ran them to the edges of the house and used tar to hold everything down. The roll came with little pieces of tar on them, but I figured I might as well go all out and ensure they don’t go anywhere.

IMG_20151007_191226295_HDR

I got a bit of tar on the edges, but oh well. I need this to work.

IMG_20151007_191230962

Here you can see the slope of the roof. Now it is time for flashing.

IMG_20151007_191233560_HDR

I’m going to admit something really quick. I hate flashing. I suck at flashing. It is hard to work with, it will cut you, it doesn’t bend to not straight corners (thanks previous owner) and it doesn’t work when you try to slide it into locations that have screws in the way.

Do your best not to laugh at my craftsmanship….

IMG_20151018_104737855_HDR

IMG_20151018_104743554_HDR

It doesn’t look pretty, but it is mounted and it is sealed with the most expensive sealant I could find. Do I know if this will work…no, but I’m going to hope that it does.

Time for testing.

IMG_20151018_141751398_HDR

 

We did have two small leaks with the direct hose test, but they were screw holes and I filled them with the sealant. After another test….it was all good. It has rained many many times and so far so good. I haven’t put the deck back together (since the slope throws everything off), but I’m ready to, and I have the stain so we can finally finish the deck.

It will all come in time. We have slowed things down here a bit due to work and Baylor football, but things will start back up around Christmas time and then January on will be full force.

It makes me wonder how we are ever going to get that other house done…